Monday, August 11, 2008

Revolution is all around!

It really is!

Today I read some more of The Strawberry Statement and revolution is abound! The things I would do if I could be on that campus in 1968. Also, Angel and I watched Persepolis, a very well animated film about a girl that survives a revolution and a war in Iran and struggles to deal with the state of her homeland and her identity. Excellent film! It was only released in select cities before but now it is on DVD everywhere so go watch it!


I also listened to Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin on my way home from Angel's house. This album I will listen to until I'm 100 years old.


I bought some new music from iTunes the other day (thanks Uncle Rick!). The first album being Bedouin Soundclash's 2004 release Sounding a Mosaic. Great reggae/dubrock with some acoustic tones and good lyrics.


The second is The Black Keys debut The Big Come Up. Great Midwestern bluesy-duet-dirty-rock. And no, I don't just like them because they happen to be from Akron. They're great musicians and were a perfect compliment to the next album I bought...


The Complete Recordings of Robert Johnson, king of the Delta blues. This collection of his recordings is great, encompassing everything he ever put down on tape in the few short years before his death. If you get a chance, listen to I Believe I'll Dust My Broom.

Also, as I was listening to my new collection of Robert Johnson (who supposedly sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads to play guitar like he did) on my way to work on Saturday I noticed I was behind an older bus, teal-blueish in color. I thought it was a nice vintage bus of a cool color and failed, until I was almost at work, to notice what was emblazoned on the back of the bus in large orange script: CrossRoads. I wish I could've gotten a picture. It's good to know at least somebody's lookin' out for me. Thanks Bobby.

Oh, and in case anybody cares, Russia invaded South Osettia the other day and is currently at war over control of the small country with Georgia (no, not peaches and Ray Charles Georgia), another small country that lies to the south. The last death toll I heard was 1500 people and Georgia seems to be withdrawing. You can read a little more about it here. Too bad we live in a war desensitized culture that doesn't even seem to flinch at the idea of people losing their lives over imaginary lines and ideals and all these intangible things that, at the time of death, don't mean shit.

No comments: